Expert Provision and Maintenance of Fire Extinguishers.
An integral part of any fire safety system; fire extinguishers require rigorous maintenance to ensure that they will operate correctly if and when they are needed to. As with any highly pressurised container, care must be taken to safeguard fire extinguishers from exterior damage and corrosion.
Typically, there are two types of maintenance procedure for fire extinguishers in commercial premises:
- Basic inspection by the user
- Maintenance by competent or trained individual
Regular inspection of all portable fire extinguishing units utilised in a commercial environment is required by British law and must be carried out and logged by the user themselves or an appointed representative. The frequency of such inspections should be no less than one per month and the nature of each is to determine whether each unit:
- Is located in the designated place
- Is unobstructed, visible and its operating instructions face outwards
- Has operating instructions which are clean and legible
- Is not obviously damaged
- Has a reading in the operable range or position of any pressure gauge or indicator fitted
- Has seals and tamper indicators which are not broken or missing
Qualified maintenance should be carried out by a specialist 12 months after initial installation, and every 12 months thereafter. AFASS can provide solutions of all scales to businesses of all sizes – get in touch today and alleviate the worry of meeting rigid Government legislation year after year.